Military Communications Systems Engineer
Welwyn Garden City (with potential work at customer sites)
Type of Role:
Our Company works in Satellite Communications Consultancy & Development. The Military Communications System Engineer will hold a technical role and be involved primarily in supporting our Military and Governmental customers with technical advice, hands-on technical support and operations expertise.
Professional consultancy support to e2E’s clients in the area of satellite communications, tactical communications and communications systems management.
· Provide systems engineering, technical analysis, operations advice and management support to customers on major military and civil communications programmes.
· Providing support through all phases of system / product development, including requirements engineering, sub-contractor management, prototyping, integration and test, handover and transition to operations.
· Working closely with the customer’s in-house technical and management teams, on customer premises, either individually or as part of a small e2E support team.
· Contributing to technical studies looking at future technologies and concepts of operation within the military environment.
· To produce work efficiently and of high-quality according to e2E’s standards and programme plans.
· To provide task estimates and progress information to team leaders and the project manager.
· Circa £40-£45,000 dependent on experience plus benefits
Welwyn Garden City
Type of Role:
The Military Communications Systems Engineer will need a thorough understanding of communications systems and associated engineering concepts, e.g. link budgets, IP networking, radio spectrum, modulation and demodulation, interference etc. They will need “hands on” experience of working with communications systems (satellite, tactical radio etc.) and a proven track record of identifying and solving problems efficiently in this environment and should be enthusiastic across a wide range of tasks and proactively seek out opportunities to help the customer.
The candidate will need to be able to quickly build relationships with both peers and customer management and demonstrate an ability to “hit the ground running” and understand underlying issues.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills within a communications engineering environment.
· “Hands on” experience of using current in-service satellite communications and radio equipment.
· Thorough understanding of satellite communications and/or radio communications engineering within a military environment.
· Knowledge of IP networking and networking protocols, understanding of networking principles (routing, QoS etc.).
· Ability to clearly and concisely present problems, solutions, trade-offs and conclusions and to convey key issues to all levels of an organisation.
· Understanding of radio communications systems planning and management (including resource planning.
· Knowledge of deployed military IT systems
· Experience of managing teams.
· Use of MS Office tools for written reports and presentations.
· University Degree Engineering or Science subject (preferred), however BTEC/HND/OND with continual professional development track record also considered
· Typically the successful candidate will have held the roles of Communications Electronics Officer, Foreman/Yeoman of Signals, Weapon Engineering Officer within the Forces or equivalent
· Thorough and professional approach to problem solving.
· Analytical skills and ability to identify the key issues both technically and in organisational processes.
· Enthusiastic and desire to learn about systems and develop skills within a commercial environment.
· Good document writing and presentation skills.
· Ability to brief and present at all levels of the corporate or military organisation (from engineering / operations through to board / staff officer level).
· Able to function and communicate effectively within a team and with other personnel.
About e2E Services
Established since 1999, e2E provides communications engineering and technical consultancy services to the satellite communications market. Whilst satellite communications is the dominant sector, terrestrial, wireless and cellular markets are also served. These services are provided in both defence-related and commercial domains.
e2E mainly focuses on the provision of technical services and aims to apply independence, flexibility and pragmatism to complex and challenging problems. The Company appreciates the “bigger picture” in a programme or system by not losing sight of the commercial aspects although often working at the detailed level.
With a large excess of credible and proven experience of complex communications networks and technologies retained within its growing staff base, e2E works efficiently, quickly and to a high standard. Whether it is the supply of subject matter experts, the engineering of a core system component or delivery of test services via a fixed price arrangement, e2E provides an attractive capability to any Organisation operating in the telecommunication systems business and particularly within the satellite communications field.
Whilst the provision of communication-based technical support services to clients is in the core of the Company’s activities, it is increasingly participating in the development of products and applications to support communications and with particular emphasis on the service and network management of Next Generation Networks.
The operations of e2E are ISO90001 certified.